I sit. And I think. And get lost. Must be age. Catching up.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Joy Baba Baleshwaar !!

Have you ever thought / realized / appreciated how versatile a language Bengali is and how we are in no way lesser in having the likes of a universal expletive that is so commonly found in English ?

Read on to find out.

It was a balmy Saturday evening that I was sipping a beer in Hooters in River Valley Road when I chanced upon a bunch of fellow Bongs in the table across, debating on the nuances of English as a language. Being the Chinese New Year weekend and with an insipid crowd, I could not but overhear what they were vociferously debating.

So this guy in the bright yellow Tshirt goes (and he reminded me of 'Teni Da', with his 'Listen to me, I know everything' air) "I tell you. Yes, I tell you. Bengali as a language is as enriched and versatile as any other worth its salt. Guess why and how ?"

Another one, with a roving eye (dunno what he was letching at though, the hostesses @ Hooters out here are anorexic) calmly asked "Why and how ?"

Fuelled by the apparent interest, Teni Da goes "

Just like the word "Fuck" in English, we Bengalis also have a universal versatile word and that is "Baal".

As a NOUN - Tumi ekta boro baal !
As a VERB - Ki baal bokchish ?
As an ADJECTIVE - Baal public saaala
Emoting ANGER - Mere debo baal.
FRUSTRATION - Dur baal.
SHOCK - Bichi toh taak e uthlo baal !!
FEAR - Ureh baal, ebar ki hobe?
JOY - Yes! Jitechi, baal !
SORROW - Baal saala, here gelam?
LOVE - Arre baal, I love you bollam toh. Faltu ghyanchish keno tokhon t heke ?
THREATENING - Paarle baaal chire dekha toh amaar !

I nearly choked on my drink.

Joy Baba Baleshwar !

PS : Apologies if I have hurt anyone with the use of explitives. Intention was to bring a smile on a lazy Wednesday, when the weekend looks so far.

4 comments:

  1. you did not bring a smile...you brought a riot of laughter.
    The "shob-janta" Bengali, Teni da, as you call him, is as prevalent as the word "Baal"...and they really do piss me off and make me use the NOUN form "Baal ta eto paka, na!".
    But good observation...and good post. Truly was a relief on a Baal-day (any week day is a Baal day, don't you think?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Baalo' Hoyeche bola jabe???;) shotti....solid!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and did I tell you there is a Baal Street in Western Australia?

    http://maps.google.com.au/maps?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4DBAU_en-GBAU282AU282&q=baal+street+perth&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Baal+St,+Palmyra+WA+6157&gl=au&ei=fuOFS5jzFIqUkAXzhPz0Ag&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Scribbler : Whaaaaaaaaaaat ??? :-) ... Jeez this definitely takes the cake, the pudding, et all. But then on second thoughts, I really should not be so surprised. There was this dame in one of my previous organisations, whose name was "Shalini Boob" .. But then, "What's in a name ?" .. Yeah, sure :-)

    ReplyDelete